History Course Goals:
- Understanding of the discipline’s methods and processes
- Ability to synthesize research findings
- Ability to write with clarity about the past
- Ability to define a project of investigative study and write a project proposal, literature review, and research paper
- Ability to communicate in a group setting
Speaking Intensive Course Goals:
- Students will understand and be able to explain the conventions and expectations of oral communication as practiced within the discipline of the course taken.
- Students will apply theories and strategies for crafting messages (verbal, nonverbal, and visual) for particular audiences and purposes.
- Students will be able to craft oral messages after a conscious process in which various options are reviewed and will be able to explain and support their choices.
- Students will be able to metacommunicate about their own communication patterns.
Writing Intensive Course Goals:
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of the varying strategies to convey arguments, main ideas and support/evidence.
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of the varying patterns of composition, organization, and development.
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of the audience, the role of the writer, and rhetorical strategies.
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of writing conventions and correctness.